Firefighters work to contain a gas leak that caused an emergency evacuation of the Oaks dorms, Barkley Building, Leo Hall and the Arts and Communication building Monday afternoon. The gas line was hit during construction on a fire hydrant on the north side of Oaks A building. Students were asked to stay out of their dorms for three hours and cars in the surrounding parking lots were also inaccessible as starting the ignition could trigger an explosion.
Students in the Oaks dorm were evacuated after a gas leak was detected on the east side of the Oaks A Building Monday afternoon. The smell of the gas wafted down E Street. Housing staff entered each room to evacuate students and open windows to air out the building. Students were not permitted to re-enter their rooms for three hours.